- What is the Solar Center?
The Solar Center is an EU Funded “Tekki Fii – Make It in The Gambia” business hub based in URR offering various services such as cooling unit, food processing, packaging, IT center, and solar street lighting implemented by GIZ in collaboration with Governor’s Office, Office of Basse Area Council Chairman and Regional Youth Council (RYC) URR branch. All services and businesses will be powered by solar energy. The Center also comprises of a one-stop shop offering basic solar devices as well as technical assistance and information for the installation and maintenance of the solar equipment.
2. Who is eligible to operate in the Solar Centers?
Young Entrepreneurs interested in operating a business in the Solar Center will have to match the profile below before undergoing a selection process:
- Nationality: Gambian
- Age: between 18 and 35 years
- Training: Holder of a TVET certificate and/or graduate from a business development program
- Experience: Evidence of having successfully managed/managing a business related to one of the services or business listed below (business registration and financial records)
- Guarantor: Must provide a guarantor to indicate that the grant will be used for the intended purpose.
- Savings: Should have some level of savings to commit to the business
N.B: Female candidates and returnees are strongly encouraged to apply!
Specific Services and Business
- Cooling unit
- Food Processing
- Solar Shop and Services
- IT Center
- What will be the responsibility of the Entrepreneurs operating in the Solar Centers?
- Interested Entrepreneurs will have to undergo a selection process (see details below under Point 4).
- If selected, they will be awarded
i. A stall to operate their services against a monthly rental
ii. Basic technical equipment and items related to their business of choice
iii. Solar equipment to benefit from continuous energy supply
- The solar equipment will become the property of the entrepreneur’s completion of the agreed payment terms for the partial grant
- The Entrepreneurs will be entirely responsible for the maintenance of the stall, the solar equipment, and their business materials
- They will maintain standard record keeping of business transactions or operations.
- How do Young Entrepreneurs apply and get selected?
- Eligible Candidates fulfilling the selection criteria above will be required to submit an Application Form available either at the office of the Regional Youth Council and online at: www.tekkifii.gm or www.ysd.gm
- The online form can be accessed directly via this link: https://forms.gle/r7w3nwzGxTXUBkDVA
- Application deadline is 26th July 2020
- Applications will be reviewed by a Committee supervised by the Board of Directors of the Solar Center
- The businesses of the shortlisted Applicants will be assessed by representatives of the Selection Committee, besides being invited to a formal interview
- The names of the selected entrepreneurs will be announced publicly
- They will sign a contract with the Management Committee and benefit from an initial training to set-up their businesses before receiving the equipment and materials
- Who will be managing the Solar Center?
- The Board of Directors (comprising the Governor’s Office, Area Council, Regional Youth Council, GIZ, and 2 private sector players) and the Management Committee are responsible for the overall management of the Solar Center
- The technical supervision and maintenance of the solar installations will be ensured by the supplier selected through a tender process
- A senior solar expert will be responsible to supervise the pool of solar technicians to ensure the highest possible quality outstation services
- Where applicable, business advisors will be deployed to ensure the sustainability of the services, but also their adherence to the business policies of the Solar Centers
- The various businesses will form a Cooperative and the head of the Cooperative will be the representative in the Management Committee, hence ensuring the highest possible degree of accountability and sustainability
Application forms are available on the Youth Service Directory http://ysd.gm/opportunity/58